RECRUITMENT: Studies in Tamil Studio Archive and Society
Studies in Tamil Studio Archive and Society
Recruitment of research staff / technical staff to work for a stimulating project of a creation of a digital photo archive at the French Institute of Pondicherry. Starting in March 2017.
The S.T.A.R.S project is recruiting new team members to participate in the creation of a digital archive of old Tamil studio photo portraits. This project, funded by the British Library, is the continuation of a pilot project conducted in 2016 at the French Institute of Pondicherry (IFP) (http://www.ifpindia.org/). The outcome of the pilot project has been put online :http://eap.bl.uk/database/results.a4d?projID=EAP737.
The research staff work will be divided into fieldwork in different towns in Tamil Nadu, and office work at the French Institute of Pondicherry, in Pondicherry.
The work will consist in different tasks:
* Going for fieldwork
* Conducting interviews, with the help of a questionnaire
* Documenting the history of photography in South India
* Assessing the quantity and the quality of the photo collections
* Digitizing the photo collections
* Processing the digitized photos
* Cataloguing the digitized photos
* Creating a listing template
What we expect from the candidate:
* Be fluent in Tamil and have a good command of English (spoken and written)
* Be ready and available for regular fieldwork trips (from one to two weeks per month, with some months with no or almost no fieldwork)
* Have a basic knowledge of Office
* Be willing to learn new techniques and skills
* Be autonomous, as well as comfortable to work in a team
* Have a keen interest in the history of photography, if not a practice of photography
* A contract for 12 months (with a four-month trial period), starting in March (or April) 2017. The contract might be renewed for another 12 months.
* An opportunity to work in an international team (Indian/ French/Belgian)
* An opportunity to work in a stimulating project on photography in South India
* An opportunity to learn new skills in the field of digitization and photo processing since different trainings will be organized for the staff.
* A nice workspace and atmosphere.
* The salary (comprised between 18.000 and 24.000 INR/month) will be evaluated according to candidate’s profile.
Please send a CV and a motivation letter to the following address: email@example.com
Deadline 4 February 2017.